1. They have a thirst for knowledge. There's no such thing as knowing too much, no matter how much we think we know, there is always areas where we can expand our knowledge base and survival skill set - increasing our survivability.
2. They stay busy. Preps are never complete, there's always something more we can do to increase our chance of survival. The successful survivalist knows this, and strives to do at least one thing every week to increase their level of preparedness.
3. They use what is useful. There is so much written about preparedness, both in books and on the web, that it's easy to suffer from information overload. The successful survivalist realizes that all the information given, does not pertain to their individual needs or situation, and that they must pick and choose from the information to formulate their personal survival plan.
4. They find solutions. When something doesn’t work as expected the successful survivalist will find a solution to the problem. They will make it happen.
5. They stay calm. Disaster; whether it be worldwide, nationwide, regional or personal, will be stressful - pushing many individuals past the breaking point. Those who stay calm and use reason to sort things out and determine their course of action will be the ones that survive.
6. They take responsibility. We are responsible for our survival and that of our family. A successful survivalist does not rely or count on anyone to save them. Help from neighbor's or community will be welcome but not guaranteed.
7. They are persisted. Expect most things to be difficult - acts that are commonplace today may be nearly impossible after a collapse. Survival will demand persistence, testing the fiber of even the strongest individuals.
8. They are open-minded. A successful survivalist acknowledges that advice given 30 years ago, may not be applicable to the needs and situation currently at hand. To further their chances of survival, they welcome new ideas and suggestions.
9. They don't procrastinate. A successful survivalist knows what needs to be done and does it without hesitation. In a survival situation decisions will need to be made and quickly - there will be no time for self-doubt or indecision.
10. They adapt. It has been proven that humans have an uncanny ability to adapt to their surroundings, the successful survivalist will need to be more preternatural than most, if they are to survive what is ahead.
Are you a successful survivalist?